Sunday, November 13, 2011

C4K Mrs. Yollis

kids in circle


Mrs. Yollis' Class Blog
During this semester, we have visited many class blogs. I have honestly been impressed by all of them. Mrs. Yollis' blog is by far my favorite. It took me over an hour to explore the whole thing because it is so in depth. I would get caught reading something and just continue down the page. Across the top there are several different pages to click on. There is a page that introduces Mrs. Yollis and tells you about who she is. There is also a page that talks about the students and what they like to do.There are also a few instructional tabs that will show you how to leave a comment, learning html code, and how to shoot great digital images. There are two tabs that I found very interesting. The first was Educational Blogging Resources for Teachers. This site has a lot of good information for teachers and how to blog. I have added it to my list of goodies (PLN), to help me in the future. The other tab that I liked was a link to Mrs. Yollis' Class Website. Not only is there a blog, but a website as well. They both seem to serve two distinctively different purposes. The blog is to share and interact (and learn of course). The website is for students and parents to keep up with homework, play games, and stay connected and engaged. Mrs. Yollis has got to be the busiest teacher ever!
The main section of the blog page is all about what they are doing in class. I am amazed at how engaged these  students are. They are connecting with students from Australia via Skype and other parts of the world as well. They are learning so much from each other, I'm sure. They also had a family blogging month and they were getting messages from their loved ones from all over the place.
The right hand column shows all of the projects that they are doing or have already done. I love the "Photo a day" project. A picture is posted and information is given, then questions are asked about what is in the picture. This is encouraging learning and asking for involvement. Then there is the map which shows that they have had 75,679 visitors. EDM310 has had 48,860 visitors. HUGE difference. Also, you get to see all of the awards that the blog has won and I counted 4. I can't even begin to imagine the time it takes to keep this going, but Mrs. Yollis has got to have 4 hands and the smartest students in the state of California!

No comments:

Post a Comment