Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Assignment 13

cat comic


E-Media Fast
This was actually much easier than I thought it would be, but it was still miserable. I work a whole lot and I can't keep my phone on me while at work. This made that piece of the puzzle very easy. I did check my phone from time to time to make sure I didn't miss a call regarding my son. This is the only time I allowed myself to break the rule I also warned people ahead of time not to even bother with calling/texting me. I don't really watch TV anyway, so that wan't an issue. I turned the radio in my car off and put a piece of tape over the power button.
 It made me wonder what my parents did to be constantly available in case of emergencies? What did people do if they broke down in their car and were far away from help? How did people entertain themselves? Like I said earlier, this was an easy assignment for me, but I did NOT like it at all. I felt very out of place and out of touch. This is kind of strange to me because when I was growing up, technology was not available the way it is now. We didn't have cell phones or computers. It's hard for me to even remember what it was like before I became so attached to my technology.
This was an interesting assignment, but I won't be doing it again unless I am forced to do so.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Robin,
    I give you props for doing this assignment!! I definitely did not have the will power to do it! You are so right though that it's hard to remember what it was like without technology at our fingertips but that people obviously survived for millions of years without it. I wonder why we are so attached to it. I guess because it's so normal to us to send a text or check our facebook and breaking away from the norm is no easy task!! So again I commend you and agree that if I were to do this assignment I would probably never want to do it again!! I lost my cell phone for just a few hours the other day and freaked out haha. Keep up the good work and best of luck in the rest of EDM 310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin!
    Kudos to you for following through with this assignment. I chose it also and did not have a problem until it came to my phone as well. I thought it would be easier than it actually was. When I was a teenager we had bag phones. Not sure if you would know what those are but you had to carry them around and you paid for the minutes because there was no plan. It was very expensive. I think because technology is becoming more affordable, more people use it. You can check out my blog to see how I fared with this assignment. Congratulations on being able to accomplish this task!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,
    Great post! I like that you were self-reflective and thought about not just the assignment, but the bigger picture. You also briefly touched upon the idea of the ease with which we become dependent upon technology, especially to get us out of tight situations like car trouble. I would have liked to hear more on this topic though, and also how this effects your teaching philosophy.
    Overall though, good work :)
    Carly

    ReplyDelete