Thursday, October 27, 2011

C4T 3 Jennifer Brokofsky

math symbols

In the month of October, I followed a Math teacher by the name of Jennifer Brokofsky. Her blog is titled "A Work In Progress". Driving to Mathematical Success-Gradual Release of Responsibilty was the first post of hers that I read. This was interesting to me because she talked about the current method of teaching math and how the transition between "showing" and "doing" needs to be more drawn out. Her main reasoning behind this is because children are missing important concepts that will inhibit the learning process later. I commented that I agreed and that I was living proof that this situation occurs. I was never good at math and never really understood it until I was a junior in high school. The only reason I got it then was because I had a teacher that recognized that I missed those basic skills and cared enough to get me back on track.
The second post I read was called Creating Mathland. This was another great post that was about creating a math immersion type of situation in the classroom. This technique is used with foreign languages and many people believe that it could be beneficial in a math environment as well. I commented back that I thought it was a great idea and could be done. In fact, what other areas could this be done in? History? Literature? We know that many things are learned from the environment. By creating an environment that is immersed with the appropriate subject, the learning objectives would be enriched greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment