Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blog Assignment 9

What I've Learned This Year (2008-09)
typewriter


In this blog post, Mr. McClung gives an account of the things that he has learned from his first year of teaching. There were several things that he mentioned. The first that sticks out in my mind is learning to teach for student comprehension as opposed to assessment by superiors. This is one of my personal fears of becoming a teacher and I think it is important to learn the difference and find a balance early in my career. He seems to have found that balance and cares deeply for his students and the quality of education that he is providing them with.
Another point that I found interesting was being flexible. This is easier said than done, especially in the field of education. Everything is so planned and organized. Anything can throw a wrench in those plans and change that "oh-so-perfect lesson plan" into a constant work in progress. His advice was not to freak out when it happens and in fact anticipate those changes.
The last thing I will mention is because it is so important in EDM310 and the fact that he states it here proves the point. He learned not to be afraid of technology. WOW! A first year teacher making this statement..... What does this tell us? It tells us that the rumors are all true. Technology is important and can enhance the learning environment.

What I've Learned This Year (2009-10)
In this blog post, Mr. McClung goes through another self evaluation and blogs about what he has learned in his second year of teaching. The first thing he mentioned was learning how to adapt. As teachers, we will be called to wear many different hats. He was put in a position where he had to teach history, which he had never taught before. He found that teaching science (his forte) and history were very different and he had ot adapt to fit the call of duty.
Another thing that he learned was to find a "school mom". I think this is a brilliant piece of advice. Everyone needs a mom close by to help you get through the rough days. Having someone close to you that has more experience than you is essential. We don't know it all!
The last thing that I will mention that Mr. McClung learned was to "check his ego at the door". Teaching is one job that requires a passionate attitude. Your students will read you like a book and if you aren't excited about the information, how can you expect them to be excited? He wasn't afraid to make himself look like an idiot if it meant that his students would mirror his enthusiasm. More importantly, they got more out of his class because of his enthusiasm.

My Reaction to Mr. McClung's Blog
I think that self evaluation or reflection is an important trait to develop. Not just for teachers, but everyone. Being honest with yourself about your strengths and weaknesses will serve you better in your professional and personal life and you will be able to go farther with both. With that being said, Mr. McClung did an amazing job putting his blog together. It was a genuine and honest account and it was clear that his motive was purely for becoming a better teacher. It's hard to admit to our shortcomings sometimes. It's even harder to admit them to an audience. The key to self reflection is coming up with solutions that will make things better and Mr. McClung did just that. I know that his blog was for him (as the exercise of self evaluation should always be), but I couldn't help but reading it as advice to future teachers as well. My experience will be different from his but I enjoyed reading it because I know that I will have my own frustrations, issues, and growing pains in my first few years. Now I know that I won't be the only one!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Robin,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree that educators must be flexible. I observe in a SPE classroom and the teacher explained to me that her lessons never go as planned because it determines on how the students are that day. Another thing that I agree with is that teachers cannot be afraid of technology. Technology is changing every minute and we must keep up with it so we can teach our students. I enjoyed reading and looking over your blog. It is very well organized. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,
    Great post! You did a great job inserting your own personal experience, humor, and honest opinion into the post. I am sure that, although you will have your "growing pains" in becoming a teacher, you will do very well!
    Carly :)

    ReplyDelete