Saturday, September 10, 2011

C4T 1 Summary Julie Vincentsen

The first blog post of Julie Vincentsen's that I read was titled "Unpacking My Invisible Backpack". In a nutshell, she was talking about preparing herself for the new school year and all that it had to bring. There was a link to the placement letter (which explained what an invisible backpack was), and a link to her first presentation to her staff in which she would unpack her own invisible backpack. The letter explained that an invisible backpack is all of the extra baggage that we all carry around with us everyday. We can't avoid it, we all have it. To be able to settle into the new school year and be focused, it is necessary to unload that backpack.
I responded by talking about the invisible backpack. I feel like it was such a great metaphor and a non-intimidating way to get to know her staff. Also, it was a way to illustrate to them that we all have this baggage. That way, it is nothing to be afraid of but it is something that needs to be handled in order to have a successful year where focus is where it should be. I personally loved the metaphor and plan on using it myself one day.
The second blog post that I read was titled, "Happy New Year". In this post, she talked about the opportunities that a new school year holds. Reflection and making plans for the new year is her favorite part. She encourages other educators to do the same.
In response I let her know that I also enjoy reflecting on the year that has passed and making plans for the future. It is very liberating for me to put a year behind me and look at all that was accomplished. More than that, I like making plans for the next year. I always strive to improve myself and my situation in any way that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment