Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Assignment 3

pen and paper



Peer Editing
I found the information in this section of the manual very helpful. I am not a critic and I try to look for the positive side of everything. Constructive criticism is a great tool to be able to improve your personal skills, and I need a lot of work in being able to critique honestly. I looked for such things in the C4C Assignment this week and couldn't find anything other than positive things to say. I will continue working on this throughout the semester though. If I do find something that could use a little help, I would probably send it in a private e-mail. I was raised to "Praise in public and punish in private." That is not to say that punishment and critique/editing are the same things, however if I am able to say what I need to say, that's all that matters. The platform I use is just a choice.

It's Not About the Technology
This blog says everything I have ever wanted to say about the technology in the classroom debate. I agree completely that technology has a place in the classroom, but it does not stand alone. Teachers have to be more willing to be life long learners themselves if they plan on creating them in a classroom. This includes staying on top of all of the current trends, tools, and resources available. Technology is not going to be the saving grace in a classroom. Teachers still have a prominent and viable place.
All technology has a specific purpose. Learning and teaching how to use it effectively will produce the best outcomes especially when it is reinforced with newer ways of teaching or even traditional ways. Creating well-rounded individuals that are able to think for themselves is the goal and there is more than one path to get there.

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Mr. Fisch makes several valid point in his blog. The one that stands out to me the most is the comparison he made to being able to read and write in the 20th century vs. the 21st century. If someone was unable to read and write in the 20th century it was still possible to be successful. However, that changed in the 21st century. Being able to use and understand technology today is similar. In order to be successful, you have to use it. That was not the case 20 or more years ago.
Embracing technology is not something to question. It is a fact of life in this day and age. For just a moment he pointed out that technology is not the only way, but it is a very useful tool. When combined with other forms of learning, it's results are exponential.

Social Media Count
It's almost impossible to conceive that different forms of social media are growing so rapidly. In the same respect, it is almost impossible to conceive how this is going to impact my career as a teacher. I know that my classroom will look very different from the one I was used to when I was in school. I also know that in order to be a successful teacher, I will have to use these tools in.
Until EDM310 I had not considered how much technology would impact my career. I have always taken my technology in small doses and steered clear of some of it completely. I hope that by the end of this semester, the picture will become more clear to me.

The Vision of Students Today
This video by Michael Wesch is one that I can definitely relate to. As a student, I see and feel this everyday. The message that I think it should send to professors and University Presidents is that they are losing their students. Not physically, but mentally they are losing them. By not engaging students where they are, they are not teaching to the best of their abilities and in many cases wasting time. Students should have to work hard to make good grades but if they are not interested or being challenged then they will forget everything they have been taught.
The students are doing the right thing by embracing technology and using it. Afterall, they will need it in their future careers. This is a fact of life for them. Educators are doing themselves and their students an injustice by not following suit.

3 comments:

  1. Robin,

    You made many valid points in your blog, and I am pleased to read that you are ready to evaluate and help your peers in this process!

    I like the way that you offered your perspective on Mr. Fisch's post. I am a huge fan of reading YOUR point of view, because I believe that every individual has something meaningful to say in a conversation. I do not want to always see
    summaries of the things you read, so make sure to offer a fresh look (your personal thoughts) on anything assigned. Add it in if it's not required - go the extra mile for your education! It definitely seems like you are ready and willing!

    Also, make sure to refer to the instructional manual for the proper organization of your blog's appearance. It is added into your final grade, and because you write so well, I would not want a "nit-picky" task like arranging your sidebar to get you!

    Awesome!

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful, well argued, well written! Thanks!

    I endorse Rebekah's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Robin,

    First off, I would like to commend you on a job well done on this assignment. You are very good at word selection. As for criticism, there is none. I like your perspective on peer editing. For me it can be hard to critique someone's work that I don't know, and it makes it harder when it is all done through the blog. I would rather it be done in person. After reading this blog I either agree with or like most of the points you make on each topic. But, you state that in order for you to be successful, you will have to use social media. Do you mean that literally? If so, why? I saw a news story early in 2011, in which, a principle decided to not add students of his school as friends on Facebook. Do you think that decision detracted from his success? I would really like to know what you think.

    Thanks, Jason Jackson

    ReplyDelete